Let’s face it; there are some days when you just absolutely don’t feel like working out. Sometimes it’s a mental hoop you have to jump through and sometimes your body is not feeling its best. Before you decide to skip your workout for that day, try some of these tips to get yourself motivated to move!
- PUT YOUR GYM CLOTHES ON: Sometimes when you just don’t feel like doing anything, taking the first step by putting your workout clothes on can motivate you to take the next step and get to workin’ out. If nothing else, you might feel silly enough wearing your gym clothes while lounging around the house, that you’ll actually get up and do something.
- GIVE YOURSELF PERMISSION TO TAKE IT EASY: Some days you have good reasons for not feeling up to a workout. Maybe you didn’t get enough sleep, maybe you’re super sore from the previous day, or maybe you had a mentally draining day at work. When that happens, do your workout, but allow yourself to not go as hard as normal.
- DO YOUR WORKOUT AT HOME: If you’re really honest with yourself, you’ll find the worst part of working out is actually getting to the gym. Instead of fighting traffic and wasting time driving to the gym, do your workout at home. If you’re not good at making up your own workouts, try a home workout program like P90X or Insanity. Fitness companies like Beachbody & Daily burn offer free trials for access to online workouts, plus there are tons of other resources out there to help you get er’ done in the comfort of your own home.
- ENERGIZE: Caffeine can be your best friend, especially on those days where making yourself workout is like pulling teeth. Whether you get amped from drinking a cup of coffee or there is a pre-workout supplement out there that you like, a little energy boost may be just what you need to peel yourself off that couch.
- TRY A NEW WORKOUT: If your normal workout routine has become tedious and dull, try something new. There are tons of different types of workouts out there. Don’t limit yourself to the same old thing.
- TURN UP THE TUNES: Music has a huge impact on how you feel and your energy level. Turn on something that is upbeat to get you moving.
- WORKOUT WITH A FRIEND: Having a workout buddy will keep you accountable and help you to stay motivated to workout. A little friendly competition is also a good way to push yourself harder to get an even more efficient workout.
- THINK ABOUT HOW GOOD YOU FEEL POST-WORKOUT- You know how you feel when you complete a particularly rigorous workout? You probably feel pretty great about yourself. Not only is your confidence boosted, but working out also releases those feel-good endorphins causing a natural upswing in your mood. If you don’t feel like working out, try channeling that feeling to get motivated.
- TAKE THE DAY OFF: If there is just no way to pick yourself up and get your workout done, take the day off. Sometimes severe apathy towards your workout is your body’s way of telling you to take a break. If you’re following a scheduled workout program, just trade your scheduled rest day with the day you actually take off.